For those who don’t have the luxury of year-round boating, the start of Spring means taking your boat out from winter storage and preparing for the beginning of boating season! An exciting yet important time to take precautions to prevent issues once the season is underway.
We’ve put together a handy checklist to help you prepare your boat for a fun, safe season:
- Change/charge battery
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Check fluid levels: engine oil, power steering, coolant
- Change engine oil if it was not done prior to winterizing
- Inspect electrical connections for corrosion
- Inspect fuel systems for leaks or damages
- Check safety gear to ensure they are in good condition
- Check onboard fire extinguishers and stow in the proper places
- Inspect propellers for dings, pitting, cracks and distortion
- Inspect hull for blisters and cracks
- Flush water tank
- Check lines to ensure they’ve not become brittle
- Install your SmartPlug shore power, if you don’t have it already
At SmartPlug, we never leave safety to chance. Many of these precautions require simple fixes. Take the time now before you get distracted with the even busier summer season.
Happy Spring and happy boating!