With Spring finally here, it’s time for many boaters to hit the water!
As you take your boat out of winter storage, be sure to follow our tips for preparing your boat for a safe season ahead:
- Check belts, cables, and hoses as they can become brittle and may crack during winter storage.
- Inspect the fuel system for leaks or damage including fuel hoses, connections and tank surfaces.
- Inspect your electrical connections to ensure they are secure with no signs of corrosion or overheating. Is your connection showing signs of damage? Upgrade to SmartPlug and never worry again.
- Check all fluid levels including engine oil, power steering, power trim reservoirs, and coolant.
- Inspect propellers for dings, pitting, cracks and distortion. Take the time now for repairs and replacements to avoid running into issues out on the water.
- Check the hull for blisters, distortions, and cracks and address as needed.
- Inspect the battery and connection.
- Check all helm switches to be sure they are operational.
- Ensure all lights are in working order.
- Replace the batteries on all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Check fire extinguishers to make sure they are not expired and double check you have a full first aid kit.
- Check all cleats, rail fittings, and deck fittings to ensure they are tight and secure.
- Inspect personal flotation devices to ensure they are in good condition.
Don’t leave your safety to chance! Before you head out this season, we hope you’ll take the proper steps to ensure a safe boating season.
To learn more about traveling safely, check out our website.